2.17.2010

Olympic Tears



I hope Pea doesn't overlook the many fine winter sports we have in this country.

So.  The Olympics.  They're here.

Like most of you, I imagine, the TV at our house it is constantly tuned to CTV for coverage of the games.

One great thing about the Olympics, apart from the world's best athletes, is the coverage and attention paid to the families of the athletes.

Let's take Alex Bilodeau as an example.  If you watched Alex win Canada's first gold medal on home soil in moguls, you will of course have seen an elated man who thrilled his nation.  You will have seen a humble man who gave credit to his family and friends for helping and supporting him to this incredible accomplishment.

You will also have seen Alex's family jumping for joy with the rest of the crowd, but for different reasons.  Alex's parents were celebrating a lifetime of sacrifice, tears and success right along side their son.  It was emotional to watch, and as always, got me thinking...

The whole point of this blog is to help me decide what I'd like Pea to become... by eliminating the things I hope she doesn't become.

Well, I'm practically balling here, watching Maëlle Ricker receive her gold medal for snowboard cross. It's a great moment for her, but it's the constant shots of Maëlle's mom that've got me all teary.

Now I'm watching Marianne St-Gelais win silver in short-track speed skating, and her family is going nuts too... her Dad, a man who appears to be a pretty tough and macho fella, is working hard to fight back tears.

To watch your child achieve such heights must be an incredible feeling.  I guess I've decided Olympic medallist wouldn't be so bad.

I may not know what I want my Pea to become, but I hope she doesn't overlook the many fine winter sports we have in this country.

4 comments:

  1. We're on different sides of the fence on this one, my friend! Just yesterday I did a post called "Olympic Dreams? Not a Chance."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely unforgettable moments for those parents, but personally I'd rather she achieve great heights in something that doesn't involve her potentially getting seriously injured or worse...selfish, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a child I dreamed of being an Olympian. I reached for the moon and landed among the stars when last week, I was at the Olympics (as a spectator) for the Opening Ceremonies and I was there when Alex Bilodeau won the first gold medal for Canada on home soil. What I hope for my children is for them to follow their dreams wherever that takes them. Seeing how excited my children are for me, understanding how important it was to me and hearing the multiple "you were there!!" from them, I hope they got that message. Reach for the moon even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

    ReplyDelete