1.13.2012

With food like this, who needs arteries?

Backgrounder: I'm doing this 30-Day Blog Challenge.  This is blog post #1, covering the "Favourite Comfort Foods and Why" topic.

As a French Canadian, I am genetically predisposed to love many disgusting and unhealthy foods.  One need only look up a recipe for graisse de roti (rough translation: pork fat spread) or cretons (rough translation: ground pork spread) to understand just how bottom of the barrel I'm talking about.  It's truly amazing that anyone in my family makes it beyond 50 years of age.

But, not all of the comfort foods I hold dear involve intense indigestion before lunch (cretons is a breakfast food).  Chief among them is Paté Chinois... you anglos might know it as Shepherd's Pie.

Simple concept, really: loads of mashed potatoes, cream corn, corn niblets and ground beef layered together, topped with pepper and served with ketchup. 

If you add anything else - peas, carrots, beans, etc. - the code of my ancestors compels me to send a large vest-wearing motorcycle enthusiast to your house for a quick chat. 

I'm serious.  A biker.  A French Canadian biker.  To your house.

Seriously.

My paternal grandmother made it better than anyone you'll ever meet.  That's because she added so much love that we just can't replicate the taste.  Awww, I know.  Also, it appears, she added a few spices and extras that she never told anyone about, so yeah, we literally can't replicate the taste.    

My aunt comes a close second... I think she spied on my grandmother during in camera cooking sessions.  My Mom makes a pretty mean Paté too.  But nothing compares to the grandma version.

What makes Paté Chinois so comforting?  Well, if you haven't caught the link to my grandmother yet, no amount of explanation could help.  Let's just say she comes to mind every time I even think of making the dish, and I instantly feel comforted.

By the way, I know you are salivating at the mere mention of cretons, so here's how you make a "health conscious" version (which, as an aside, I believe is technically impossible):


PS - Yes, I also love pea soup, for you stereotypists out there.

2 comments:

  1. Ah Pit I hate to disagree but knowing well both your maternal and paternal grandmother in my opinion your paternal grandmother was the better Pate Chinois cook!!!

    In reality the best Pate Chinois cook


    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez, Dad, one typo and your the first to point it out...also the only one who would know the difference, but anyway. Problem solved. I changed the M to a P. Gotta give the right grandma credit after all!

    ReplyDelete