6.22.2009

From Tehran to Ottawa

I hope Pea doesn't neglect her civic responsibilities.

The mess we are currently seeing in Iran has me reflecting on the importance of democracy - true, transparent democracy - and the hope for a bright and free future for my daughter.

It occurs to me that while we may feel democracy is a right in this country, a little over 9 years ago most Americans likely felt the exact same way. 'Rigged elections are something you only see in the movies and in third world countries', they might have said, in their own American twang. Well, tell Al Gore that elections can't be stolen in the industrialized west.

And now, seeing hundreds upon hundreds of Iranian citizens taking to the streets in protest of what they feel is not the true outcome of their election naturally leads me to wonder what lies in store for Pea.

Will she have to endure questionable results in a Canadian struggle for power? If so, will she march on the streets of Ottawa in defense of her rights?

I certainly hope neither of these two situations come to fruition. But if they do, I hope my Pea will speak up if she feels she has been cheated. After all, her right to protest is as much a centrepiece of democracy as her right to vote.

But most of all, I hope she votes in the first place. This is a right her great grandfather fought for and risked his life to protect. Voting is the least we can offer him, and his counterparts, in return.

I may not know what I want my Pea to become, but I hope she doesn't neglect her civic responsibilities.

1 comment: