6.21.2009

The pity of an unstocked freezer

I hope Pea doesn't fail to see the importance of Popsicle Pete.

I realized today, Father's Day, that while I am doing my best to be a good Dad, I need to get my ass in gear when it comes to being a husband.

Among many other luxuries today, I got to sleep in until 9:30am while Pea and the Pod awoke at 7:30am. I cannot recall the last time I was afforded the chance to sleep so late. Coming from a guy who, a little over a year ago would consider a good lie-in to be a 1:00pm wake up time, 9:30am was heaven sent and amazing.

My dreams during my 2-hour solo sleep included rainbows and lollipops, puppy dogs and Stella Artois', the Toronto Maple Leafs folding up shop forever and winning a brand new car. It was a good sleep.

After waking up, I was presented with my wonderful Father's Day gifts... a gift card to buy a pair of pants and two fully-functional watches (from my existing collection) with fresh batteries. I also received a wonderfully sentimental card that included words like "amazing dad" and "super sexy husband with the best set of pectoral muscles I have ever seen and the calf muscles of a Greek God".

Ok, that last bit may have been embellished a little bit, but you get the point.

I was then whisked away to the Pod-in-laws for a stellar roast beef dinner and returned home to indulge in not one but two Popsicle Pete popsicles - one cherry and one grape.

Looking back on this great day, I'm hard pressed to think of anything but my failings as a husband to the Pod.

Sure, I let her sleep in on Mother's Day, gave her a card that Pea and I made from scratch and tried as much as possible to take the baby-rearing load off her shoulders for but one day. But did she get to have two Popsicle Pete popsicles in one sitting? No. We didn't even have Popsicle Pete popsicles in the freezer on Mothers Day.

What kind of husband does that make me? I don't even want to think about it.

I may not know what I want my Pea to become, but I hope she doesn't fail to see the importance of Popsicle Pete.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't want to say anything...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm - Popsicle Pete! We ordered pizza on Mother's Day and I forgot to give T his Father's Day card (still haven't). That's the kind of family we are, I guess.

    On another note, I slept in this morning til 7am and it was magical (I was late for work, but I don't care).

    ReplyDelete