7.22.2009

Now showing...

I hope the characters of Pea's youth don't one day falter in her adulthood.

We read to our little Pea. A lot. Every night we read her one or two books, and we also read to her before nap time. While I wasn't a big reader as a youngin', the Pod was a big book enthusiast and I am hoping Pea picks up where her mom left off.

For those that don't have kids, or who have moved beyond this phase of their lives, many of the books we find ourselves reading Pea are the very same ones we were read as kids. Goodnight Moon, Little Nutbrown Hare, countless Little Golden Books and many a Munsch tale are all prominent fixtures on Pea's bookshelf.

What boggles my mind is that we are beginning to see the characters from our youth coming to life on the big screen. Sure, comic books sagas have been made into films before, but I'm talking about the tales that define many a thirty-something's childhood.

Examples? Ok. Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are is scheduled for release in October and Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland will hit the big screen next year.

As I watch the trailers for these films (see below), I can't help but wonder whether the movies themselves will match the strength of my youthful imagination.

I also wonder if Pea will one day come face to face with the characters from the books we read to her today. Will Frisson L'Écureuil make a major motion picture one day? Will Pea get to see Little Miss Curious take on Little Mr. Tickle in a big screen Battle Royal? Who knows.

I'll let you know what my opinion is once I've seen Alice and Max on the big screen. My hunch is that I won't be disappointed.

I may not know what I want my Pea to become, but I hope the characters of her youth don't one day falter in her adulthood.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, hopefully they won't disappoint. Still, I think it'll be very cool to see how they're interpreted onto the big screen. I almost shed a tear everytime I see the Where The Wild Things Are trailer! Can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete