9.24.2009

Love and Marriage, Love and Marriage...



I hope Pea doesn’t overlook the teachings of aging Married… with Children star Ed O’Neill.


The pilot for ABC’s newest comedy, Modern Family, aired last night and it was smart, incredibly funny and pushed all the right boundaries in all the right ways. This show is getting incredible reviews and will definitely be at the top of my PVR recording list, right up there with another ABC success, Lost (premiering Thursday, January 21, 2009… that’s 120 days people!).


Modern Family is all about the convergence of 3 different types of families.
  • The Reconstituted Family: Ed O’Neill plays a recently re-married 60-something. He’s hooked up with a much younger Columbian woman and finds himself the stepfather to her sensitive teenage boy, who he struggles to relate to both generationally and culturally. 
  • The Nuclear Family: O’Neill’s biological daughter (played by Julie Bowen of Ed and Boston Legal fame) is married to a man (Ty Burrell) who is desperately trying to be his 3 kids’ friend rather than their father. She struggles to manage a house with 3 kids and a useless husband; he struggles to use the hippest language possible to relate to his kids on their level. An actual quote from Phil, the goofy Dad: “I'm a cool dad, that's my thang. I'm hip, I surf the web, I text. LOL: laugh out loud, OMG: oh my god, WTF: why the face.” 
  • The Homosexual Family: O’Neill’s son (played by Jesse Tyler Ferguson) is gay, in a committed relationship with his partner of 5 years, and they have recently adopted a young child from Vietnam. 
(Big thanks to my Family Studies teacher for teaching me this information... all apologies for not remembering your name.)


As funny as Modern Family is to me, I can’t help but think about how much more relatable it will be to Pea.


When I was growing up… and yes, I’m now using “when I was young” statements… Nuclear families were still the norm. I can recall a few Reconstituted families, fewer Single Parent families, and there were definitely no Homosexual families on the block.


But Modern Family makes one thing perfectly clear… when it comes to family, “normal” quite simply doesn’t exist anymore. And I firmly believe my daughter will be a better person as a result.


If we look at the numbers, it is undeniable that many of us will end up leading an untraditional family. For kids, it used to be divulging an untraditional family dynamic to classmates would potentially lead to ridicule and bullying. But nowadays, can any kid really justify teasing another because of single, remarried or homosexual parents? To do so today would be to tease the near majority, not the fringe.


Our families, and our children, are evolving with the times. Adaptability, acceptance, tolerance and understanding are becoming some of the cornerstones of our society.


Some of you might be saying “Ricochay, we’ve still got a long way to go before we get to this point.” I don’t deny that we still have work to do. But I do believe that we are closer than ever. As our generation raises its kids with a new set of values that are consistent with our reality, we only get closer to our goal. Our kids, and their kids, benefit.


So here’s to you, Modern Family, for showing us all that no matter what type of family you are a part of, it’s normal… and just as screwed up as the rest of them.


I may not know what I want my Pea to become, but I hope she doesn’t overlook the teachings of aging Married… with Children star Ed O’Neill.


PS - Glee, you’re off the PVR.

7 comments:

  1. Is there really such a term as a 'homosexual family'? Sounds weird to me...wouldn't that be like calling a 'nuclear family' a 'straight family'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I'll have to check this new show out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Misheebel... you're killing me here!! I saw the term used on several websites and am not sure if the designation is accurate. But if we are categorizing family types, I think a special designation needs to be made in the case of a family headed by a homosexual couple. Nuclear has historically referred to a family headed by a mom and a dad, so I don't think it can apply to a homosexual pairing.

    How about a Homosuclear Family, does that work?! :)

    If anyone can verify this, please let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ....but Glee is so good :) Maybe I'll have to check this new show out too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glee is great. Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. RIcochay... you are trying to teach Pea about acceptance, you should not give up on Glee... accept the variety, the uniqueness and the stylish moves and lyrics!!! It's catchy and wonderful in its own right!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not give up on Glee? The show is not good at all people, and that's me using my polite blogger voice. We should never have given up on Welcome Back Kotter, that show deserved our attention and was ahead of its time... if WBK comes back, I will return to Glee.

    Ricochay out.

    ReplyDelete