10.27.2009

Ok, let's do it. No, no, wait, maybe not...


I hope Pea doesn't have this hard a time making up her mind.

Yeah, I'm back on the H1N1 thing.  Since I wrote my last post on the topic, I have been pretty diligent in asking other parents what they plan on doing about vaccinating their kids.  I figure, the more info I have, the better.  

I asked the guys at hockey.  I asked the folks at work.  And I reached out to you, my Pea followers.

The answer I got 9 times out of 10 was a resounding 'I don't know.'

Some couples are conflicted; one really wants to vaccinate, the other is steadfastly against it.  Some find the testing of the vaccine to be unreliable and untrustworthy.  Some just don't think the concern is that great.  And some think the risk of not acting is even greater.

To make matters worse, I hear anecdotally that one scientist who worked on the vaccine isn't going to take it, because it is 'unnecessary'.  Then I hear of pediatricians who don't think the vaccine is needed if the child isn't in daycare or at school (Pea is still at home, with the Pod-in-law).

In what I shamefully call a relief, I am somehow encouraged by other bloggers in my world who are just as confused as I am.  

Some are helpful, like Julie who shares information on Ottawa-area vaccination clinics despite being unsure as to whether or not she will get it for her and her family.  

Others, like Sarahcasm, remind us that the concern over health-related decisions isn't a priviledge that everyone around the world enjoys.  While this is a tough decision, we are lucky enough to be able to make a choice, one way or another.

So, I remain torn about what to do, but thankful that my little Pea doesn't yet need to concern herself with such things.  

I'll let her worry about which books she gets to read before bed, and how long she gets to play in the bath.  The heavy stuff will remain on my shoulders. 

I may not know what I want my Pea to become, but I hope she doesn't have this hard a time making up her mind.

2 comments:

  1. The hidden blessing in Q having H1N1 is that now we don't have to decid what to do about vaccination! He'll have natural immunity.

    For us (well, Q), having swine flu hasn't been as scary as the media would have us believe. He plays and laughs and runs around... and he sleeps a lot in between.

    Thankfully, we haven't had to deal with any complications (and don't expect to now that his fever has broken!)

    Good luck making your decision for Pea... I wish I had the answer for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For all I know, we've all had H1N1 too in our family. But who knows? It could just be a bad cold or some other seasonal flu. I'm with you -- still torn. It is certainly a "high-class problem" to have ... to vaccinate or not. We are priviledged to have choices.

    ReplyDelete