12.19.2009

Uh Oh...

I hope the planet lasts long enough for Pea to realize her own dreams.

I am not a vocal climate champion.  I'm not the one speaking loudly about what we can do to prevent or reverse global warming, I am not protesting or blocking the Olympic Torch's progress across Canada, and I do not consider myself to be a 'green' guy.

Mind you, I'm not a non-believer either.  I do my part in small ways... recycling, carpooling, etc. because I believe our planet is headed towards significant peril.  But I'm no Greenpeacer, so to speak.

That's a little bit of context for what I am about to say next.

I'm deeply saddened and disappointed that a comprehensive deal wasn't reached during the Copenhagen climate talks of the past two weeks.  Sure, some progress seems to have been made, but the outcome of this Summit is woefully lacking what the world needed from its political leaders at this time.

The main outcome of this Summit, from what I can glean, is that developed nations worked hard to protect their livelihood, generally at the expense of developing nations.  And Canada's failure to influence change and set a strong example is, quite frankly, a national and potentially long-lasting embarrassment.

So significant is our collective failure to agree on a course of action, that I fear this Summit will be marked in Pea's history books as a major turning point in our inability to protect her environmental future.  I honestly believe that we will look back on this one Summit 20 to 30 years from today much the same way we look back on the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand when we study World War I.

The fact is that politics have once again trumped the well-being of mankind.  My only hope is that the so-called deals of Copenhagen will be further strengthened and some significant change will be put in place.

At least the oil sands are safe.

I may not know what I want my Pea to become, but I hope the planet lasts long enough for her to realize her own dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment