11.04.2009

Time to buy some water wings

I hope Pea doesn't mind wrinkly water skin.

Pea started swimming lessons about 7 weeks ago.  We had never taken her swimming before, and the only experience she had with a public splash pad in the Summer was a complete disaster... tears were shed, and I ended up wetter than she was.  Plus, bath time was always a disaster.

So, needless to say I was really worried about what the lessons would be like in the long term.

I am happy to report that she loves the lessons!  Here are a few reasons why I know this:
  • When I ask her if she had fun swimming, she vigorously shakes her head "Yes."
  • When we get to the pool, she literally drags me to the edge of the pool and proceeds to dip her feet in the water.  If I were to let go of her hands, she'd jump in.
  • Bath time has become infinitely more pleasurable for her.  It used to be impossible to wash her hair, since she hated getting water in her face.  Now she pours the water over her own head and laughs when she gets water in her mouth.
  • When we arrive at the community centre, a smile always overcomes her.
  • She has absolutely no problem when Steph, her instructor, holds her so I can make her feet kick in the water.  Pea never, never, allows strangers to hold her.  
  • I secretly think she likes parading around in her cute little one piece bathing suit!  
There you have it.  A young and female Michael Phelps in the making (the fast swimming, multi-gold medal winning Michael Phelps, not the bong loving Michael Phelps).

I may not know what I want my Pea to become, but I hope she doesn't mind wrinkly water skin.

3 comments:

  1. Go Pea! Yay!

    Q loves water, but hates the public pool. I think it's the echoes and expanse of water. (I hope he hasn't inherited my fear and loathing of anything communal. Ick.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Pod has a dislike of water as well... water of any kind, really. I think if she had her way, the Pod would never shower. But I insist it be a daily event. Thankfully, Pea doesn't seem to have the same issues.

    I will say that the public pool gives me the willies too, but I fool myself into thinking the chlorine will keep me safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The worst part about public pools is the changeroom. All kinds of gross wet hair on the ground...disgusting!

    ReplyDelete