11.03.2009

Was I like this in high school?

I hope Pea doesn't undervalue the bravery of high school teachers.

Tomorrow is Take Our Kids to Work day across Ontario.  On this day, grade 9 students from all across the province go to work with their parents, to get a look at what the "real world" is like and to see first hand what being a productive member of society looks like.

I know this, because I'm partly responsible for the festivities at my company.  A brave (and thankfully, über-organized) colleague and I have been planning for the day and it all comes to a head tomorrow.

We'll have presentations on the history of the company, tours of our facility (which is actually quite cool), and a presentation from an incredible guest speaker, that is so secretive I can't even disclose it to you, my faithful reader.

All in all, Take Our Kids to Work is a great program.  The timing is perfect given that these students have 4 years ahead of them to work towards preparing for the next step in their lives.  It allows them to see what their parents do to put food on the table.  And it provides a unique learning environment, at least for one day.

But Take Our Kids to Work day is easily the longest day of my working year.

It always starts the same way.  The kids arrive, shy and awkward because they don't know anyone.  They usually sit as far away from each other as possible, until the room starts to fill up and they have no choice but to rub elbows with one another.

As the day goes on, little cliques start to form of like-minded kids and they become a little bolder.  The class clowns become braver, and 'smart' answers start to make an appearance.  By the end of it all, I'm being interrupted every two minutes and the jokes aren't even that funny... to me anyway.

Ever year, when my work is done and the kids are safely job shadowing with their parents to close out the day, my mind wanders to the same place - there are people out there, not unlike me, that do this type of thing day in and day out for 10 months.

I think of this, and I shudder.

Whatever they get paid, it isn't enough.  Whatever their benefits, the mental health provisions are insufficient.  Whatever good-natured ribbing they endure from friends when they are on summer break, they don't deserve it.

The good news is that, come the end of the day tomorrow, it will be the most possible days until Take Our Kids to Work day 2010.

I may not know what I want my Pea to become, but I hope she doesn't undervalue the bravery of high school teachers.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, truer words have never been spoken! As the wife of a highschool teacher I can vouch that (a) they really don't make the kind of money that they deserve, (b) they need every single day of the summer off to re-charge after living with these creatures called teenagers all year, and (c) they never take 'mental health' days because the chaos they have to return to after one day of a supply teacher is never worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can sum it up in two words....Thank You!

    ReplyDelete