4.12.2009

Quiet on the set!

I hope Pea doesn't shy away from Butlering.

Late last year, I was asked by a friend to act in a short film.  I had just completed over two years of improv training at The Second City with said friend and when she asked I thought this might be a nice way to close out my 'acting' career.  Pea had been born a few weeks before the shoot took place and as much as I enjoyed it, I had no intention of continuing with the improv stuff.  

I was Gerald the Butler, a very small role.  Yes, I know, there are no small roles, only small actors... but this was truly a small role, which was great, because at the time I couldn't have handled anything more than the two lines I had to remember.  I could barely remember to wear matching shoes.

I was nervous as could be.  I like improv because there is no real preparation needed. You show up primed and ready for anything to go down, so you can't really worry about anything too much in advance.  Actual acting requires actual preparation and I tend to over think things when I have too much time to prepare.  

So, on the day of the shoot, I show up ready for magic.  I spew my lines, take a break, spew my lines again, take another break, and so on (movies are awesome work if you can get it).  When it was time to do a quick close up of me and the lead actor, I performed as asked, and after the director yelled 'CUT' I actually overheard him say "Wow, that was awkward."  My lack of true acting skills had been confirmed.  I kept my day job.

This past Thursday, the film premiered at a local cinema and much to my delight, I wasn't so bad.  In fact, one of the scenes I was in got the biggest laugh from the packed house, which was a nice way for me to head into Easter weekend.

It really made me glad I decided to go ahead with the role.  It was an adventure and while I doubt I will be doing it again, I am now able to say I've acted in a movie.  Not everyone can say the same.

Pea is already demonstrating a real adventurous streak.  She has virtually no fear (that is, until the Pod and I go out for an evening... then all hell breaks loose) and inasmuch as she stays safe, I hope she continues to be a curious young mind.  I hope she is keen on trying new things and doesn't find excuses to back away from things that make her a little uncomfortable.  Those uncomfortable experiences are the ones that she will always remember.  We don't cherish the things we almost did.

I may not know what I want my Pea to become, but I hope she doesn't shy away from Butlering. 

PS - If I get a copy of the movie on DVD, you're all invited to my house for a screening!

2 comments:

  1. Butlering is indeed a noble tradition!

    Your blog was recommended to me by Tutankhamen, and I really like what I've seen so far! Congrats on the movie role, that's something to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A referral? Nice! Tutahkhamen will be receiving some nice virtual swag as a thank you.

    (Note that virtual swag has no value or use whatsoever.)

    ReplyDelete