4.19.2009

Ricochay and the Bee

I hope Pea doesn't listen to 'the odds'.

I was reminded today that 'the odds' are useless predictions of potential outcomes, and not worth banking on (9 times out of 10, anyway).

The Canadian Spelling Bee was on Global today, in HD no less.  

Believe it or not, it was boring as just about anything you could ever imagine, and the production value was right on par with other Canadian attempts at American fanfare. Rick the Temp - that's worth repeating - Rick the Temp co-hosted with some girl I have never seen before, perhaps a national Spelling Bee Champ from days gone by.  They spoke the whole time with hushed golf voices even though they were a significant distance from the 'action'. The words given the spellers were no where near the difficulty of the ones you'll see in the US Spelling Bee (not that I could spell any of them). Even a cameo MC job by the one and only Colin Mochrie couldn't save this sucker.  And I love Colin Mochrie.

When I woke up this morning, I would have put the odds on me watching a Spelling Bee on TV at right around 1,000,000-1.  I watched for over an hour.  If only I were a betting man.

I may not know what I want my Pea to become, but I hope she doesn't listen to 'the odds'.

PS - The kids in the Spelling Bee were actually quite entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment