4.01.2009

In English class, of all places?

I hope Pea isn't ashamed of her more embarrassing moments.

For some reason, I was reminded today of a fairly embarrassing high school moment.  Let's all go for a ride, way back, back in time...

The year is 1996.  Tamagatchi's are sweeping the planet, New Kids on the Block are but a fleeting memory (or so we thought) and my Tiffani-Amber Thiessen crush hits its peak.  I am in Grade 12, my hair is chin-length and I am as thin as a waif.  I am cool.

I'm sitting in my customary spot in English class - against the window, on top of the heater. I attended a small high school, and thus this was a small English class, and we are all quite friendly with one another.  I could sit wherever I wanted and no one seemed to mind.  

We're discussing the details of an upcoming assignment.

Teacher: Are we all on the same page here people?  Your 1,500 word essays are due in three weeks, and I'll have no excuses.  I'm giving you plenty of notice.

Students: (Disaproving groans and sighs)

Teacher: Seriously guys, this isn't a complicated task. 

Students: (More groans and sighs)

Me: What does S.A. stand for?

Teacher: What?

Students: (Blank looks of confusion and bewilderment)

Me:  S.A.?   What does it stand for?  You know, I.S.U.'s are Independent Study Units, so what does S.A. stand for?

Female Student: Are you serious?

Me: What?

Female Student: It's ESSAY moron, not S.A.  It doesn't stand for anything.  'Essay' is a word.

Me: (Confusion... more confusion... understanding... self-loathing... damage control...)  Of course, yeah, I was kidding...

Of course, I wasn't and everyone knew it.  And the great thing about embarrassment is that it manifests itself physically as well as emotionally.  I turned red, which led to a few chuckles, which led to more redness.

For some reason I think of this gaffe a lot.  Recently, I think this story came to mind because I have been preparing for a big presentation at work and I was worried I might ask a dumb question of some fairly high ranking folks.  I think my subconscious was reminding me that the ends justify the means - if I don't ask, I don't get the answer.  

That said, what is the lesson here for Pea?  That she should keep quiet to avoid embarrassment?  That she should read a little more than her father so she is familiar with the word 'essay' by the time she is 17?  That she shouldn't date boys with chin-length hair because they are idiots?

Obviously not.  The lesson in all this is as plain as day.  The only foolish question is the one left unasked.

(Although, maybe the part about reading more has some merit as well.)

I may not know what I want my Pea to become, but I hope she isn't ashamed of her more embarrassing moments.

PS - I still maintain that confusing S.A. with Essay is an understandble mistake.

2 comments:

  1. Who was the female student? Did I offer you the proper support? Or did I laugh? Sorry if I laughed. I hope I didn't mark you for life. Every questions is a good one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Renee, the infamous "Teacher" in my tale above. The female student shall remain nameless. This is my issue to deal with... her meaness is her burden. And you were polite and restrained, if I remember correctly. I am more or less well-adjusted now, so at the very least no permanent damage was done (?).

    ReplyDelete