4.04.2009

Thanks for nothing, Allashua

I hope Pea doesn't break her promises.

As part of our nightly routine, I sometimes read Pea a bedtime story from a giant book of Robert Munsch tales.  My favourite Munsch story is called A promise is a promise.  It is about a young girl - Allashua - who breaks a promise to her parents and temps the horrible Qallupilluit with near-dire consequences.  

This is an amazing story with fantastic illustrations and I love the story because of its origins and its lesson in morality.  Robert Munsch wrote A promise is a promise with a man named Michael Kusugak.   It is based on a Native legend, handed down over generations, and was used to keep Inuit children from venturing too close to the dangerous sea ice in the Winter. 

I read Pea this story not too long ago, and I have the familiar refrain "A promise is a promise" embedded in my head for good.  

I should have remembered this before I went to put Pea to sleep tonight.

The Pod was away again this evening, so it was just us... I managed to get through Pea's bedtime routine just fine with a nice warm bath, a massage and some bedtime stories.  

After the stories, the Pod usually tops Pea up with some boobie juice and then off to sleepy land she goes.  Well, it looks like Pea is wise to our shenanigans because she knew damn well the Pod wasn't around to feed her tonight.  

With this in mind, she did what any self-respecting infant with separation anxiety would do - she cried for 45 minutes straight.  I'm talking the heart-stopping wails that are half-cries, half "My mommy's never coming back" sobs.  

As I tried to get her to sleep, I made her every promise in the world... Mommy will be home soon... It's OK, Daddy's here... and the one I regret as soon as it came out of my mouth, Don't worry baby, I won't leave you until Mommy gets home...

Three hours later, the Pod returned home to find me slumped in the rocking chair in Pea's room, eyes glazed over with Pea sleeping on my chest.  It took me a full minute to get out of the chair and I grunted and groaned like fat Elvis after an all-night burger bender.

Now I know Pea had no idea what I said as I tried to get her to sleep, but a promise is still a promise.  True to my word, I stayed with her until her mommy got home.  Morality doesn't take time off people, you've got to mean what you say to your kids! 

I learned a few important lessons tonight.  First, don't write cheques your ass can't cash, so to speak.  Second, always have a big-person book close at hand, just in case.  Third, don't ever assume you'll be able to go pee when you need to; go when you have the chance.

I may not know what I want my Pea to become, but I hope she doesn't break her promises. 

PS - Henceforth, Mortimer, Be Quiet! is my favourite Munsch tale.

2 comments:

  1. Johnathan cleaned up Then he Heard a Sound (Blackberry Subway Jam) is my favorte Munsch tale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent choice Pat. I am also a fan of this Munsch classic... it reminds me of the great and powerful Oz from The Wizard of Oz.

    ReplyDelete