8.05.2009

The birds and the Pea's...

I hope Pea doesn’t intentionally step on people’s feet.

Before Pea was born, I not-so-secretly wished for a girl. Ask anyone that really knows me and they’ll tell you that I’ve always been more comfortable around the fairer sex, perhaps because I’ve never really been a ‘man’s man’, capable of grunting, eating copious amounts of red meat, shouting obscenities at passing women and ‘crop dusting’ in public.

More proof, you say?

  • I’ve never smoked. Anything. Well, except for one ill-advised cigarillo in university… it actually made my legs numb.
  • I’ve never been to the ‘rippers’, and I don’t buy the logic that guys go to “help put young scholars through school”.
  • I never spit unless I’ve ingested poison.
  • I have a pair of shoes I never wear because I can’t find a matching belt.
  • Guy’s who cheat on their partners make me ill. I guess cheating in general pisses me off.
  • I’ve never bragged about my ‘exploits’.
  • Minus one hockey fight (which was essentially two guys struggling to get each other’s helmets off), I’ve never been in a fight of any kind. I did get punched in the face once in grade 10, and truth be told, I sorely deserved it.

So I have the beautiful little girl I had hoped for... all’s well, right?

Here’s the rub. I’m beginning to realize that I am outnumbered and outestrogened. I may be glad that I don’t have to teach my child not to punch someone in the nose because they stepped on their shoe (hopefully), but I’m on the express train towards Mary-Jane’s, training bras and, dare I say it, feminine products.

My masculinity is eroding people, and fast. To keep Pea entertained and focused while we get her ready for bed, I routinely implore her to ‘comb daddy’s hair’ with her brush. The Pod usually reminds me that you comb with a comb, and brush with a brush. Oh my God!

I know what a barrette is, and I know which ones work best with Pea’s thin hair. On more than one occasion, I have placed a fallen barrette in my hair to avoid losing it and forgotten I put it there! Never in public, mind you, but it’s only a matter of time isn’t it?

(In defense of barrettes, they do an amazing job at holding back the two cowlicks that have taken up residence just above my forehead.)

I JUST DEFENDED BARRETTES!

There is but one solution to this erosion of masculinity – even out the X’s and Y’s in my family. Sure, I’ve met a lot of guys in my day whose testosterone levels are way out of proportion. But I know tons of guys who aren't mouth breathers at all. I’m not one of those guys… neither is my Dad, for that matter. He’s a well mannered, soft-spoken, hard working and charming man who taught me to never start a fight (but if one presents itself, to always finish it). I’ve got countless male role models to fashion a little man after.

So when the time comes to think about #2 (and no Mom, the time is not soon), I’ll follow the web's advise and ingest lots of red meat, salty snacks and caffeinated soda pop. After all, the internet has never steered me wrong before.

Ah, who am I kidding? Happy and healthy is all I really care about. And have you seen little girl clothes? It’s all so cute!

I may not know what I want my Pea to become, but I hope she doesn’t intentionally step on people’s feet.

6 comments:

  1. Nothing beats having a little girl. I exude my fair share of testosterone, I have crop dusted in public, I've been known to visit the rippers on occasion, I like the UFC and although I've been known to have metrosexual qualities I'm pretty much your typical guy of Mediterannean heritage. I'm not ashamed to admit that I wanted a boy. But from the moment my little girl was born, I could not imagine having it any other way. Daughtes are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you teach other men? Especially the shoes and belt stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. whatever do you mean for #2 ????? Truth be told never underestimate the value of a Grand-peopod and many many peas. Some varieties of pods tend to have between five and ten peas in a pod.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I *may* be somewhat biased, but I think having girls is fun too. And yes, my husband feels outnumbered. ALWAYS. And he is quite content being the king of this castle!!!...Just wait until Pea is old enough to ask you to marry her...so unbelievably cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I have a pair of shoes I never wear because I can’t find a matching belt."

    *Cam falls over laughing*

    ReplyDelete