8.18.2009

OH NO YOU DI'INT!

I hope Pea doesn't make open parental defiance a regular thing.

Since Pea turned one, she's been learning new things at a torrid pace... recognizing by name all kinds of body parts and family members, passing us specific items we've requested from her, and a whole host of other things. It's been one adventure after another and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Well, almost every minute.

A couple of days ago, the Pod and I were putting Pea to bed. She had just finished her bottle with her mom and it was my turn to take over and ease her into a deep, restful slumber. I leaned in to pick her up and she resisted, vigorously shaking her head from side to side in the distinct No motion. Undaunted, I leaned in a second time to pick her up.

What happened next can only be described as mind blowing.

As I tucked my hands under Pea's arms, she abruptly turned to face me, looked me square in the eyes, and waved her finger back and forth in what I can only describe as 'old school librarian scolding'. It was clear that No meant No.

Upon seeing this act of defiance, the Pod held her hand over her mouth to stymie her laughter/shock. Pea happened to catch this look on her mother's face, as well as the bug-eyed look on my face, and it was immediately clear that she knew she had done something wrong. As she looked at us, she seemed confused and guilty.

Even though she had openly defied me, somehow my heart was breaking.

I leaned in a third time and picked her up. There was no resistance at this point and the rest of the routine went smoothly. Before I put her down, I gave her an extra little hug and kiss to reassure her.

Personally, the emotions going through my mind were too numerous to count. I was proud of her for using her new found knowledge correctly (as she had been taught by her great aunt, anyway). I was heartbroken because I could tell she looked slightly confused by our reactions. I was miffed that she had so openly defied me (I know, I know, get used to it pal). I was impressed that she had the nerve to so strenuously stick to her guns.

Heaven knows that this won't be the last time my little Pea defies me. My job from here on out is to help her understand when it is OK to push for what you believe in and when it is important to respect someone in a position of authority.

I love that she is learning so much so fast. That said, this act of defiance made it crystal clear to me that I must now add 'disciplinarian' to my job description.

I may now know what I want my Pea to become, but I hope she doesn't make open parental defiance a regular thing.

1 comment: