3.30.2009

The Danger of Discourse

I hope Pea doesn't simply walk away from differing opinions. 

Please note: this blog is about to get political!

So, the Conservative government decided not to let British MP George Galloway into the country because he is a threat to national security.  Seems a little ridiculous to think that an elected official from a democratic ally would be considered a threat to national security, especially when the ol' US of A let's him in, but should we really be surprised that the Conservatives and Stephen Harper have taken this stand?

Remember, Stephen Harper is the same leader that silenced nearly all of his own MP's shortly after taking office.  

(I wonder what the first few caucus meetings were like in the early days of the first Conservative minority... Ok gang, way to go with a hard fought win in the election!  We aren't at the majority we wanted, but we're closer than ever.  Now, I'm going to need everyone to listen carefully here. Now that you are an elected official chosen democratically to speak on behalf of the people of Canada, I'm going to need you all to shut your mouths.  That's right people, I'm talking a wholesale ban that prevents each of you from speaking to the media.  What's that Peter?  Yes, even Cabinet Ministers.  Why?    Oh, don't worry, I have my reasons.)

If he doesn't want his own colleagues talking, why would we think that he would welcome the opinions of foreigners with controversial views on world politics?

Please don't get me wrong.  I am not in favour of what Mr. Galloway has to say.  The fact is I don't know nearly enough about his views to make an informed decision one way or the other.  My point is that I should have the right to hear his opinion and make up my own mind. I don't need Big Harper telling me what to think, or in this case, not think.  

It is the discourse Galloway's controversial point of view creates that is necessary to better understand both sides of the issue. The Conservatives appears to want none of that discourse. Well, I know that at least 600 people, who attended Mr. Galloway's speaking engagement via video-conference tonight, and the hundreds more that will attend in various Canadian cities this week, will agree that discourse is important even when the person talking has a different opinion from yours.  

Look, for all we know, Mr. Galloway is a raving lunatic with a horribly skewed view of the world. Shouldn't we be allowed to make that determination ourselves?  I guess Canadians just can't be trusted to make up their own minds.  

I may not know what I want my Pea to become, but I hope she doesn't simply walk away from differing opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment