3.06.2009

The 7-minute sandwich

I hope my Pea won't be prone to procrastination.

There's a KFC near my house that is notoriously slow.  As a parent with a sleeping kid in the car seat, you're prone to quick meals and drive-through's to keep the little one sleeping (and your chins multiplying).  Against my better judgment, I let my popcorn chicken craving get the best of me and I pulled into the drive-through.  

Here's how it all went down:

KFC: Hi, welcome to KFC.  How can I help you?
Ricochay: Yeah, I'll have a Big Crunch combo and a popcorn chicken.
KFC: That will take 7 minutes.
Ricochay: 7 minutes, for the popcorn chicken?
KFC: No, for the Big Crunch.
Ricochay: Ok then, I'll have the Classic Combo.
KFC: That'll be a 5 minute wait.
Ricochay: Well, if I'm going to have to wait, I'll have the Big Crunch.
KFC: Ok, that'll be way more money than it's worth.  Please drive through.

Of course, the second I got to the window to pay, Pea woke up.  And she was pissed.

So for 7 minutes I listened to Pea wail away from her plastic prison in the back seat while I waited for the food.  If she was talking, I'm sure the wailing would have translated to "You idiot, why did you stop here!  This stuff is made of elbows and kneecaps and it always makes you feel like crap every time... and now I'm going to have to smell that garbage all the way home!" 

Tell me this - how can it take 5-7 minutes for KFC to make the two most mainstream items on its menu?  Are you honestly telling me you weren't expecting any more customers past 6:13pm?  It was almost as though they were trying to get me to leave without getting anything.

I may not know what I want my Pea to become, but I hope she isn't prone to procrastination.


No comments:

Post a Comment