3.13.2009

To infinity, and beyond

* Disclaimer - I am not a science nerd.  I don't have mountains of weird science fiction comic books in my closet, I don't dress up and attend Star Trek conventions in my spare time and my PVR isn't overflowing with SPACE channel content.  

I hope my Pea doesn't feel the need to be a Space pioneer.

I'm talking about the Universe/UFO/Mars Rover/Saturn's Moons/Gaseous Explosions/Hubble Telescope kind of Space, not the deciding-where-to-put-your-furniture, this-room-throws-off-my-Chi kind of space.  Although that kind of space is pretty cool too.  In fact, growing up I spent many a night re-arranging the furniture in my room to find the optimal configuration that suited my needs at that particular time. 

But that's not what this post is about... today.  I digress.  

A couple of my peers and I got to talking about Space travel and the boundless largesse of the Universe during lunch recently.  

Personally, I find most things to do with Space fascinating.  The fact that there is now a spacecraft on its way to far away galaxies to look for Earth-like planets is extremely cool and that we have detailed high-resolution images from the surface of Mars is amazing.  I look forward to the day where we come to the scientific realization that we are not alone and put an end to this narcissistic sort of attitude that some will espouse because it suits their view of how we got here in the first place.  

This is a good spot to say that I respect all views with regards to how we got here.  In fact, I believe all of these views can all co-exist peacefully.  I'm not a hater.  

Another tangent, I apologize.  This is about Pea. 

Today, I read that NASA is sending someone to the International Space Station for 6 months, to see how his body reacts to such a long stay in space.  All this research, naturally, is aimed at eventually sending people to Mars.

While I think it's cool that we're exploring Mars, I sure hope Pea isn't the first to go.  

Rationale:
  1. Radiation sickness
  2. Muscle atrophy
  3. She'd get lonely - that's a long trip
  4. When she gets back, Earth would be inhabited and run by damn dirty apes
  5. I'd miss her way too much
I may not know what I want my Pea to become, but I hope she isn't a Space pioneer.

No comments:

Post a Comment