3.10.2009

Remember, remember the 9th of Marchember

I hope my Pea never forgets March 9th, 2009, because I know I won't... and yes, I am well aware she is only 8.5 months old and likely won't remember things at this point, but hear me out.

When I got home from work yesterday, it was fairly early (no traffic, hazaa!) and I had the chance to put Pea down down for a nap before we ultimately bathed her and put her to bed.  The change to daylight savings time has had a rough impact on all of us, and the PeaPod (a.k.a. Pea's mom and for a period of time Pea's Pod) and I are struggling to slowly move Pea back an hour.  

On this particular day, Pea hadn't napped very well.  There's a combination of separation anxiety and teething going on that the PeaPod and I are still figuring out in addition to the time change.  So, for this nap I did the usual - went into Pea's room, closed the blinds and read her a few stories.  More often than not, when we place her in her crib for her nap she wakes up immediately, rolls over and stands up, rearing to go.  It's kind of like that Growing Pains episode when Chrissy doesn't want to go to bed because she is certain the rest of the family is up having a legitimate hootenanny while she rests.  

I digress.

Yesterday, when I finished the stories, I calmly put Pea over my shoulder to lull her to sleep as usual.  For the first time ever she fell into a deep sleep immediately.

It was clear to me as she slept on my shoulder that Pea, in how own little way, had turned to me to help on a day that had been rough on her and her mom.  The PeaPod often has a hard time putting Pea to sleep (see comment about separation anxiety above) and on this day the Pea needed a shoulder to sleep on.     

I've never had Pea fall asleep so easily and so soundly, not to mention so quickly.  I stayed with her on my shoulder for the entire nap (a selfish move on my part, but I'd do it again in a minute). 

I may not know what I want my Pea to become, but I hope she never forgets March 9th.

No comments:

Post a Comment